Your child complains of an itchy head and won’t stop scratching! You have avoided the inevitable long enough –it is time to verify if it might be lice. Take out the magnifying glass and without touching the hair take a look at the crown and around the ears to see if you see any movement. Touching the hair may cause them to scurry for cover and you will have a harder time to find them.
Still not sure? Send a picture to our experts for a free diagnosis!
What do I need to know?
- To efficiently and effectively get rid of lice, you need to purchase three basic products:
- Professional lice removal comb with microgrooves to remove both lice and eggs (nits) – such as Lice Services Canada lice comb.
- A professional pesticide-free lice shampoo – such as Lice Services Canada (LSC) lice shampoo.
- Hair Conditioner
- The most important detail to know is that you MUST remove the eggs. If you do not remove them all they will hatch into lice again and then continue to lay eggs. This will provide additional opportunity for the infestation to spread amongst others and in your home. Something you desperately want to avoid if you can.
What do I do?
- Make sure to follow the directions on the bottle of LSC shampoo. Apply and massage the product on to the scalp and let it sit for at least 1 hour, providing enough time to kill the adult lice.
- Next divide the hair into 4 sections (depending on the length of the hair). You should only be working on one section at a time so that you can keep track of which areas you have completed.
- Add your conditioner to the hair to allow the comb to move smoothly through the hair when removing the lice.
- After each pass through the hair, wipe the comb on a white paper towel to see what has been removed. If you are not sure about what you are seeing, send us a picture to assess if you’re correctly getting rid of the lice.
- Once you have finished combing the entire head you must thoroughly rinse the hair.
- Making sure the entire family is lice free is very important, but so too is making sure your environment is lice free. To ensure there is not a reoccurrence in your home you should:
- Vacuum items such as couches, car seats, as well as any helmets.
- Put these items away for 48 hours.
- Any items you can put in the dryer, such as clothing and bedsheets, should be put in the dryer for 30 minutes on high heat.
- Don’t forget to vacuum or clean any child’s toys that may hold the lice (i.e. stuffed animals, dolls, etc.).
- Two days after the initial treatment it is time to do another comb out of each of those who have been affected by the lice. This time using only conditioner.
- This step should be repeated again about 3 to 5 days after the initial treatment and repeat this schedule until you have 2 clear comb outs 3 days apart. Not following this protocol may result in a return of the lice!
Sounds like too much for you to handle?
If this process sounds too daunting or you are simply too busy or anxious to follow through on all the steps, then be in touch with our office through email, phone or our website. We can do the work for you in a fraction of the time with our extensively trained, experienced and professional technicians.
Visit our convenient central location or have us come to you! We offer 100% private and confidential assistance to you and your family. We can also provide you with a certified letter to be taken to the child’s school, daycare, camp or nursery school if needed.